Sunday, November 13, 2005

Freethinker Sunday Sermonette: Pat Robertson's little god

Sunday, and I'm still in a bit of a dark mood. I'll get over it. But Pat Robertson isn't helping me.

Yes, I know. He's likely got senile dementia on top of being a whacko. But still. He's got a huge audience on television and the media reports what he says. So he's fair game as far as I'm concerned. In my reality-based world, people make god in their own image and we see Pat Robertson clearly in his nasty, spiteful ass-wipe of a god:
On today’s 700 Club, Rev. Pat Robertson took the opportunity to strongly rebuke voters in Dover, PA who removed from office school board members who supported teaching faith-based “intelligent design” and instead elected Democrats who opposed bringing up the possibility of a Creator in the school system’s science curriculum.

Rev. Robertson warned the people of Dover that God might forsake the town because of the vote.

“I’d like to say to the good citizens of Dover. If there is a disaster in your area, don’t turn to God, you just rejected Him from your city. And don’t wonder why He hasn’t helped you when problems begin, if they begin. I’m not saying they will, but if they do, just remember, you just voted God out of your city. And if that’s the case, don’t ask for His help because he might not be there.” (via People for the American Way)
I know Pat Robertson's version of god isn't everyone's (or even most people's). There are strong believers who comment on this blog whose personal gods are loving, caring and nurturing, a reflection in my opinion of the kind of people they are. I'm glad for them and glad they are around. But when I read in the Book of Genesis that Abraham, at the age of 75, left the home and land he loved and moved somewhere he knew not where or why and was ready to sacrifice his only son "because God told him to," all I can think of is dotty old Pat Robertson. If Abraham were alive today he would be heavily medicated and probably institutionalized. Instead he fathered three religions--Judaism, Christianity and Islam. I can't help but feel the world would be much better off without them (or their equivalents).

Imagine.