Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Higher education

What did you learn in school today?

Song by Tom Paxton

[snip]

What did you learn in school today
Dear little boy of mine?
What did you learn in school today
Dear little boy of mine?
I learned our government must be strong
It's always right and never wrong
Our leaders are the finest men
That's why we elect them again and again
And that's what I learned in school today,
That's what I learned in school.

What did you learn in school today
Dear little boy of mine?
What did you learn in school today
Dear little boy of mine?
I learned that war is not so bad,
I learned about the great ones we have had,
We fought in Germany and in France,
And someday I might get my chance,
And that's what I learned in school today,
That's what I learned in school.

Last week the House adopted an amendment to the Defense authorization spending bill requiring the Secretary of Defense to submit a report of all colleges and universities not allowing easy access to military recruiters and ROTC programs (Chronicle for Higher Education). This comes after a federal appeals court decision in November allowing colleges to restrict military recruiting on campus. The Senate has also passed a spending bill and the two versions must now go to Conference to iron out differences.

The Bush administration is appealing the decision to the Supreme Court which has agreed to hear it in the next session (beginning next October).

I guess that means Schools of Medicine and Public Health, too. War is a public health issue. What's next? Forced acceptance of recruiters from the tobacco industry?