Monday, November 07, 2005

All cretins are liars

Atrios expresses cynicism that Senator/Dr. Tom Coburn, the unhinged wingnut from Oklahoma, can tell if someone is lying just by watching body language:

Atrios: Actually I never went to medical school but perhaps someone who did can tell me when they learn to apply their dark arts in this fashion:

SEN. COBURN on Roberts: I've tried to use my medical skills of observation of body language to ascertain your uncomfortableness and ill at ease with questions and responses. I will tell you that I am very pleased both in my observational capabilities as a physician to know that your answers have been honest and forthright as I watch the rest of your body respond to the stress that you're under.

MR. RUSSERT: Do you believe as a physician you can tell whether a candidate for the Supreme Court is telling the truth?

SEN. COBURN: Mm-hm, I certainly have.

MR. RUSSERT: Has any--have you ever detected someone lying?

SEN. COBURN: Uh-huh, lots of times.
Well, Atrios, I am a doctor and I did go to medical school. The class Senator/Dr. Coburn is referring to is called Gross Anatomy, and, coincidentally, when I started medical school our four student team named our cadaver Tom. Granted, this was a long time ago, but our Tom and Dr. Tom Coburn resemble each other to a remarkable extent (in body language, anyway). So I think I know what I'm talking about.

I went over to Crooks and Liars where there is a screen shot of Senator/Dr. Coburn giving the above opinion. If you use a Fristoscope to examine his body language, it is obvious to even the most casual medical observer that Coburn is lying about doctors being able to detect lies by body language.

This is consistent with another epistemological-medical fact: all cretins are liars.