Thursday, June 16, 2005

. . . or are you just happy to see me?

Dangerous macro-organisms. Some stories just beg to be posted. I can't resist when someone begs.

A 23 year old man landed at Prague airport on a flight from Africa with his trousers tied tightly with string and the pant legs tucked into his socks. Quite a fashion statement. So customs officials took a closer look and saw something wiggling in his pocket. His pants were found to be filled with rare snakes he was smuggling. His suitcases also contained scorpions and beetles. I guess they aren't carry-ons. (Ananova)

Meanwhile in the United Arab Emirates, a woman was watching the action movie Mr and Mrs Smith in a cinema when a four foot python wrapped itself around her leg. Another patron (a mother of three) took a look, told her to stop screaming and calmly unwound it from her leg and carried it to the theater foyer, saying afterward, "I don't know why I did what I did but I believe that nothing is more important than helping people." (Ananova)

The snake was apprehended by police and is presumably being held under the UAE's strict anti-terrorism laws.